What is Version Manager?
- Make it possible to detect changes made to the business logic or table structure in a Microsoft Dynamics NAV database.During an installation phase, many different parties are involved in implementing a new Dynamics NAV solution:
- The NAV Partner, who will often have the main responsibility
- Independent Software Vendors delivering solutions for:
- Payment Management
- Shop Floor Control
- Capacity planning
- Barcode scanners at the Warehouse
- Super users making simple changes to pages and Role Centers
- Hosting partners maintaining the solution
A backup made every night will solve the problem of recreating the original source code if an implemented build proves to be faulty and needs to be rolled back, but this will only work if there are no structural changes made to the database structure (new or changed fields or new tables). And it does not give the answer to: who-did-what-when.
Version Manager records all changes made to any object in an unlimited number of Microsoft Dynamics NAV database.
- It provides functionality for:
- Object history
- Object backup
- Object restore
- Object compare
- Export license file
- Export earlier versions of objects to a text file
- Managing builds and making object roll-out and roll-back package
- Comparing objects in up to 10 databases
- Comparing Versions in up to 10 databases
Extensions and apps:
In Dynamics NAV 2016 Microsoft introduced Extensions.
Extensions are add-on apps that can be installed on the NAV server providing extra functionality (much like the apps on a smart phone or a tablet).
The extensions can be installed in different ways depending on the version:
- NAV 2016 & NAV 2017 The extensions are installed using PowerShell
- NAV 2018 & Dynamics 365 Business Central the apps can be installed either using PowerShell or using Visual Studio Code
- Dynamics 365 Business Central in the cloud, the apps can be uploaded directly from the web-client or added from the app-store.
In any case, functionality that can change the behavior of the standard application totally. What’s more, the extension/app can be uninstalled and unpublished without a trace.
In Version Manager 2.01 all changes made to extensions are logged, showing on the administrators dashboard and in the Audit report.
Download the latest Version Manager brochure here.
Directions NA in Las Vegas 2019
Version Manager attended the Directions NA in Las Vegas 2019.
Thank you for all the positive feedback we got.